«All the principles of heaven and earth are living inside you. Life itself is truth, and this will never change. Everything in heaven and earth breathes. Breath is the thread that ties creation together. » – Morihei Ueshiba
“Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
The Sanskrit word for the throat chakra is Vishuddha and means “purity/purification”. The colour of the fifth chakra is blue, and the element associated with the throat chakra is akasha (aether/sound). The Vishuddha is located at the neck. Try to think of the throat chakra like a bridge, because it has a physical placement on your neck where the body becomes slimmer and must focus all its energy on bringing information up to the brain.
Physically it is connected with the thyroid and parathyroid gland. These glands have the responsibility to produce hormones for growth and calcium metabolism. The throat chakra is also tied up with the way the ears, nose and throat are in correlation with the senses of hearing and speech. If some of these areas are in dis-ease it will manifest as illness. This will be a good time to do some healing on the throat chakra.
The throat chakra holds your energetic and emotional experience of speaking your truth, understanding of others and being understood, openness, communication and confidence. It is the first of the higher chakras and it works on a spiritual plane of your being. It is also a bridge between our emotions and our intellect. A balanced throat chakra allows us to have a clear and honest communication with our physical and spiritual world.
Other symptoms of an unbalanced Throat Chakra might be:
– Speaking too much or inappropriately
– Not having the practice to listen when others speak
– The fear of expressing our thoughts and feelings
– Aggressively forcing our opinions on others.
– Feeling shy and experiencing social anxiety
– Lack of purpose in life
– Feeling misunderstood or ignored if you speak
– Your actions do not match your speech
– Feeling bottled up with secrets
– Sore throat, stiff neck and shoulders and hormone fluctuations
Still unsure if your Throat Chakra needs to be healed and balanced?
Ask yourself these following questions:
– Am I feeling confident in expressing my inner world and truths?
– Have I been criticized a lot by the people close to me?
– Do I feel that my thoughts, ideas and opinions are valued by my environment?
– Am I holding on to too many secrets?
– Do I argue a lot out of frustration of not being heard or understood?
– Am I criticizing other people a lot?
Suggestions on how to heal the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra is the chakra of communication. To express your raw and vulnerable truth, and to truly listen. How are you communicating with yourself and the world around you?
Healing the Throat Chakra with color
If you want to heal your throat chakra, surround yourself with the colour blue. Go outside under the blue sky. Wear blue clothing and wear blue throat chakra jewels as your normal ornament, like Lapis Lazuli, Blue Kyanite, and Sodalite.
Healing Throat Chakra through sound
Listening to sounds:
Listen: The throat chakra responds very well to the 741Hz Solfeggio frequency and singing-bowls in the G note. Listen to music that has one, or both of these components for about 20 min a day.
Sing: While meditation sing the vowel “YYYYY”. Like the sound of the y in “my”
Healing Throat Chakra with food
– Drink a lot of liquids, avoid dairy.
– Blue food: Blueberry, blackberry.
Healing Throat Chakra with mindfulness and meditation
This meditation will enhance your immune system, increase your level of energy and help you to let go of any depression and blockages in the throat chakra.
- – Make sure that you are undisturbed for about 20-30 minutes
- – Start with doing the relaxation exercise. For deep healing to occur it is important to have a body that is relaxed and receptive.
- – Light a candle, preferably a candle with the color of blue or white
- – Sit in a comfortable position with your spine straight.
Breath slow and deep. Inhale presence and exhale fear. Think about the pain that is living within you. Something that is physically or emotionally hurting. Imagine that you collect all of your pains into a blue ball. Now visualize that this ball is turned into a blue balloon. Let this balloon float up towards a light blue sky. It rises and rises until you can barely see it anymore. You notice that it pops and transforms into a flower with white petals.
Do this visualization until you can feel that you have let go of all your troubles and worries.
Focus on your inhales when you are ready to complete your meditation. Imagine your breaths like an orange energy stream filling up your body and recharging your chakras in perfect harmony.
Exercise for healing the throat chakra
In this exercise we invite you to explore your personal preference of expressing yourself. Start to keep a diary if you don’t have one. Maybe you have been curious about dancing for some time. Well this is your moment to take charge and go for it. Maybe there is a suppressed musician inside of you that is waiting to be expressed.
– Singing and dancing
– Keep a journal. Try to read it out loud
– Write down what you are grateful for
– Practise conscious listening every day for at least 5 minutes whenever someone is speaking. Without judgement or thinking about what to respond, just listen.
– Practise conscious speaking. “Am I speaking my truth right now with compassion and love?”
– Yoga and neck exercises